DON'T FORGET THE LITTLE PEOPLE


A few weeks ago, a new rival for my boyfriend's attention appeared on the scene. Now, let me stop you before your imagination starts dreaming up visions of a blonde haired, red lipped seductress. The rival isn't a woman, it's not even human. It's the book, 'The Man Who Ate the World' by Jay Rayner.

Yesterday, my boyfriend sent Mr Rayner an email, thanking him for the entertaining read. What impressed me most was that Jay Rayner replied within a matter of hours. The message went like this:

'Hi Nick,

Well that's the kind of feedback every writer wants to hear. Now go tell all your friends to buy the book, I need all the help I can get.

All the best.

Jay'

My boyfriend was thrilled with getting a response from the author and both of us will definitely continue to buy his books and read his reviews in The Guardian.

This should serve as a valuable lesson for other businesspeople out there. No matter how large or successful you become, do not forget the little people (although, they are not really so 'little', they most probably got you where you are today through their custom and support)

You don't have to use big, overblown gestures. Treat your customers like you would a friend. Respond when they ask questions. Let them know what is going on with your company- whether this is through media releases, a regular newsletter or other forms of communication. Ask for their feedback, through surveys and polls. Even sending them a Christmas or Birthday card once a year will let them know that you are not a soulless, disconnected corporation and that you value their support.

By the way, I don't blame Nick for being so caught up with this particular book. I've already read it and I couldn't put it down. Mr Rayner is a very witty, very funny man and a fantastic writer to boot. The only thing I can complain about is that the book left me slightly hungry and desperate to journey the world sampling all those different foods (ah well, Burger Fuel will have to do for now....)

No comments: