THE WWW.TESTDRIVE.CO.NZ MYSTERY


I have to say, I really enjoyed the XT Network TV advertisement that was launched last night. It looks like it has had a fair amount of money poured into it- it's a swish, high quality TVC and featured one of my favourite presenters of all time, Richard Hammond from the legendary British TV show, Top Gear. You can watch the video at the XT Network 'teaser' website: www.testdrive.co.nz

The advert did the job perfectly- I was so intrigued by it that I took note of the website address which popped up at the end and went straight to my laptop to find out more about what was being promoted (I actually assumed that it was for a new kind of car or plane!) They have been discussing the campaign over at GeekZone. Apparently, XT Network is the new branding for the upcoming Telecom New Zealand WCDMA network, that will be launched in June 2009.

I'm really impressed with how Telecom has approached the introduction of this new brand. It has been a perfect example of how a well planned and coordinated public relations, advertising and online marketing campaign can work absolute wonders. Telecom has been teasing the media and the public with stories about the new WCDMA network for the past couple of years (check out this NZ Herald story from 2007). The Richard Hammond TV advertisement and test drive website have acted as the perfect catalysts to boost anticipation and awareness of the official launch in a couple of month's time.

Let's just hope that Telecom's new service lives up to the promise and is as good as their advertising and PR....

1 comment:

Jason said...

Interesting. I've never seen Top Gear or Richard whatis name but guessed there was a connetion and I think flaunting petrol head mania is exactly the way to turn off new data users.

XT network the one for boofhead car drivers.

If the new network is faster I want facts and figures not hype from a TV programme I have never seen and have no interest in.