JAMIE OLIVER, HELLMANN'S MAYONNAISE AND HIS FOWL DINNERS



I will happily admit that I am part of the up-and-coming generation that is passionate about buying organic, free range products. I am quite content to indulge in a nice slice of roast chicken and stuffing as long as I know that the bird was treated with respect and kindness while it was alive.

I am always keen to learn more about how I can enjoy the things I love without harming the environment and the animals in it, which is why I tuned in to Jamie Oliver's 'Fowl Dinners' last night.

Despite criticism from the Herald's Michelle Hewitson, I still believe that the show was a great success. I think it achieved the goal of shocking viewers and making them think a little about what they are eating.

Also, kudos to the Corporate PR Manager from Hellman's Mayonnaise for announcing, on the show, that the company will no longer be using eggs that aren't free range. It's good to know that such a popular, well known brand has taken a stand and chosen to do the right thing.

I don't care that this show was used as a blatent PR tool for Waitrose, Sainsburys and even Mr Jamie Oliver. If what he is doing goes some way towards stopping things like this happening (and it isn't just a British or American issue- follow this link for a Kiwi example) then it can't be a bad thing.

No comments: